Here are 6 things you need to do after purchasing an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- Restore from your backup – Hopefully you have been backing up your old iPhone to iCloud and/or iTunes. If you have not been backing up, then do so ASAP and make it a point that you will back up your new iPhone 7. If you have been backing up your old iPhone, do another one now. Before your start the process of restoring your backup to your new phone you want to make sure that your backup is current and not from last week or even less recent. To restore from iTunes, find your old phone and under “Summary” you will see “Backups”. Select the box that says, “Restore Backup” If you are going from an Android phone, then you need to download Move to iOS on your Android phone. Follow the directions to transfer to your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
- How does that home button feel? – While the home button is not gone, it certainly has a different feel. And “feel” is the word here. By going to Settings/General/Home Button you can adjust this feel. There are 3 options for “Choose Your Click”. Choose the one you are most comfortable with and tap “Done”.
- Headphones anyone? – By now you have heard that the iPhone no longer has a headphone jack. The iPhone 7 does come with an adapter that allows you to use any standard headphones you own on it. If you have a Bluetooth headphone, then you need to go to Settings/Bluetooth to set it up to use on your new phone. If you want to get the new AirPods, they will not be available to October the earliest so you will need to wait.
- Set up iCloud – Enter your iCloud account information (name and password). If you use 2-factor authentication, then set it up to send the code to your new phone if you have not already done so. If you don’t use 2-factor authentication, I highly suggest you do so. Click to find out why.
- Are Your Apps Current? – If they are not then they should be. You do want the latest version of your apps, don’t you? You also should set your apps to update automatically if you have not already done so by going to Settings/iTunes and App Store and turning the sliders for all automatic downloads to the on position.
- Enjoy Your New Phone – Take advantage of an enhanced camera, a more enhanced display, better sound and other enhanced features.
And remember you can get my blog and newsletter right to your inbox by filling out the form below.